Equalities at Armadale Academy
At Armadale Academy we pride ourselves on creating a welcoming and inclusive environment where the rights and views of both our young people and staff are respected.
Rights Respecting School -Article 1 (Definition of the Child)
In order to work towards becoming a Rights Respecting School Armadale has focussed on educating our learners on what their Rights are, and how they can be relevant in their daily lives. The Rights of the Child are embedded throughout the curriculum and their importance are highlighted day in day out at the Academy. Moreover, learners can express their Rights through Pupil Councils and Equalities working groups to ensure Pupil Voice is heard and is an agent of change in our school.
The Convention makes it clear that every child has rights, whatever their ethnicity, gender, religion, language, abilities or any other status. Rights are universal and unconditional. The Convention should be seen as a whole: all the rights are linked and no right is more important that another. Rights are inherent, indivisible and inalienable - they are not conditional on children behaving, all children are entitled to all their rights at all times.
What are we doing to ensure this?
- Equalities Working Group combining staff and learners to highlight the UNCRC
- Leadership opportunities provided at all ages and stages of a school career
- Pupil voice is embedded in learning and teaching and improvement planning within every faculty
- Wood Student Support Team focuses fully on Equalities at Armadale Academy
- Consultation on our Charter of Rights to take place between pupils, staff and parents
Please find the Link to our Rights Questionnaire below:
LGBTQ+ -Article 13 (Freedom of Expression)
At Armadale Academy we are aiming to achieve our LGBT Youth Scotland Award to recognise all of our learners at Armadale Academy. It is our aim that all learners feel supported throughout their school career and they are able to reach their full potential while fully expressing and being themselves throughout this time. The staff at Armadale Academy are trained in providing an inclusive environment for all and every learner is celebrated and supported by our school community.
What are we doing to ensure this?
- Equalities Working Group with a focus on LGBTQ+ Rights
- LGBTQ+ events are celebrated at Armadale Academy
- Armadale Academy staff are Youth Scotland trained in ensuring LGBTQ+ learners needs are catered to
- LGBTQ+ resources and referrals are available for students from Student Support Teams
- Visibility and celebration of LGBTQ+ community clear in our school
Leadership Academy -Article 12 (Respect for the Views of the Child)
Leadership at all levels is of the utmost important at Armadale Academy. As a result, we have launched our Armadale Academy Student Leadership Academy. The Leadership Academy is aligned to our school vision and School Improvement Plan to ensure that students help shape school improvements and that student voice is heard. This includes our 'Equalities and Rights Respecting School' strand of our Leadership Academy.
The primary aim of the Leadership Academy is to support student leadership at all levels and develop the skills for learning, life and work and the four capacities.
Links to Armadale Academy Policies for Equality:
Links to LGBTQ+: