Home Economics is a core subject for all students in S1 and S2. Teachers draw on a range of approaches to meet the needs of students through carefully planned and well paced learning experiences. The aim is to provide a classroom climate of creativity and innovation, to develop
- An Understanding of a Healthy Diet
- Knowledge and Skills to make Healthy Food Choices and Eating Habits
- An Understanding of the Role of Food in a Social and Cultural Context
- An Understanding of Safe and Hygienic Practices in Practical Activities
- An Awareness that Food Practices and Choices Depend on a Range of Factors
- Appropriate use of Technology
- Opportunities for Collaborative and Individual Learning
- Opportunities to Analyse, Explore and Reflect
In S3 students can opt into an Home Economics option aimed at Level 4 Experiences and Outcomes. This course is outlined in our S3 Course Choice Booklet.
In the Senior Phase students can seek to gain qualifications in Home Economics from National 3 through to National 5 level. Course outlines and entry requirements are available in our Senior Phase Course Choice Booklet.