The Library is a central resource within the school, supporting learning and teaching and encouraging pupils to develop into lifelong learners. It is an area where pupils can come to study, to use the computers for homework or just to chill, relax and enjoy books.
The Library is open:
- 8:25am until 5pm from Monday to Thursday
- 8.25am until 1pm on Fridays
Students may study in the library until later on a Friday if Dr Carter does not have any meetings.
Students should check with Dr Carter each week.
The Library provides:
- 9000 books including Fiction for all levels and Non-fiction to support the curriculum
- Revision books for seniors preparing for exams
- Online subscription to Issues online at www.independence.co.uk. This can be used at home for discursive essays. The password is available from Dr Carter but can also be found on the posters in the Library and in the English department.
- Reading lists to encourage students to widen reading habits. “Teen Titles” magazine provides book reviews and author interviews.
- Careers information. Appointments can be made with the careers adviser by completing a request card from the library.
Activities in The Library
Book Group: The Junior Book Group meets fortnightly and participates in the Scottish Childrens’ Book Awards from August to January. From April- June we take part in the Carnegie Book Shadowing programme. Each term there will be a staff/student book group and an Open Event for readers to attend on a one-off basis. All events will be promoted in the Student Advertiser.
Debating Group: We have had a number of successes at recent debating/public speaking competitions. The debates have proved very popular and workshops preparing for these are held in the library on a Monday lunchtime. If interested in speaking at a debate please see Dr Carter or Mrs Docherty.
West Lothian Snippets.
Careers Adviser: Louise Russell, the Careers Adviser from Skills Development Scotland, is based in the library when she is in school. Students may drop in for quick questions during most Tuesday and Wednesday breaktimes, email on firstname.lastname@example.org or ask Dr Carter to contact Louise.
Are you looking for a job?
Find links to the best jobsearch websites here. In particular, click on 'Snippets' to see a list of job opportunities SDS have identified for young people in West Lothian. Snippets is updated weekly.