Modern Studies is a core subject for all students in S1 an S2. It is delivered through an integrated Social Studies course. The Modern Studies based context involves learning around:
- People, society, economy and business
Teachers draw on a range of approaches to meet the needs of students through carefully planned and well paced learning experiences. The aim is to provide a classroom climate of creativity and innovation, that will:
- Develop in students an understanding of the history, heritage and culture of Scotland
- Broaden understanding of human achievements and activities, in the past and present, across the world
- Develop and understanding of students' own, and others, values and beliefs
- Develop and understanding of democracy and citizenship
- Develop skills of enquiry and investigation using different sources and evidence
- Develop an understanding of concepts that encourage enterprise and influence business
- Allow students to link people and events across time and place
- Allow students to link people, events, features and places locally and further afield
- Allow appropriate use of technology
- Provide opportunities for collaborative and individual learning
- Provide opportunities to analyse, explore and reflect
In S3 students can opt into a Modern Studies option aimed at Level 4 Experiences and Outcomes. This course is outlined in our S3 Course Choice Booklet.
In the Senior Phase students can seek to gain qualifications in Modern Studies from National 4 through to Higher level. Course outlines and entry requirements are available in our Senior Phase Course Choice Booklet.