Spanish is an optional subject for students from S2. Teachers draw on a range of approaches to meet the needs of students through carefully planned and well paced learning experiences. The aim is to provide an environment of creativity and innovation, to:
- Provide relevant, real-life and enjoyable contexts which build upon student's's experiences
- Develop student literary skills and knowledge of an additional language
- Give frequent opportunities to communicate in a wide range of contexts for relevant purposes and real audiences
- Provide opportunities to understand, analyse and evaluate
- Broaden horizons through the exploration of a new language and culture
- Make appropriate use of technology
- Support the development of student decision making
- Provide opportunities for collaborative and individual learning
In S2 students can opt into a Spanish option as outlined in our S2 Course Choice Booklet. Those with a particular aptitude for languages will be encouraged to opt for Spanish.
In S3 students can opt into a Spanish course aimed at Level 4 Experiences and Outcomes. This course is outlined in our S3 Course Choice Booklet.
In the Senior Phase students can seek to gain qualifications in Spanish at National 5 and Higher level. Course outlines and entry requirements are available in our Senior Phase Course Choice Booklet.